“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” John Quincy Adams – 6th President of the United States
Does leadership sound good to you? Do you think that role is calling your name? Plan your future carefully in order to realize your goals. Leadership just doesn’t happen, and not everyone makes a good leader.
If you think leadership is in your future, think about some of the following random tips which might get you started in the right direction.
• Get the necessary education. You cannot achieve your goals without the proper education. You can never have too much education.
• Network, network, network. Join your local professional association. Get to know the other members. When the time is right, chair a project, and then run for an office.
• Do the same thing at your place of employment. Get on committees and make yourself known. Getting your name out there is one thing, but be sure that you prove yourself.
• Be willing to take responsibility and complete tasks and projects on time.
• Enroll in management and leadership educational opportunities. These may be offered at your place of employment.
• Always be friendly. Always shake hands. Always act professionally and lead, both in your profession and outside of your profession.
• Ask questions. Be interested in others and their activities.
• Communicate well, both verbally and nonverbally.
• Celebrate the success of others. Leaders inspire others to succeed.
• Earn the respect of your peers. Always be honest.
• Lead by example.
• Be active in your community. Become an example of one who “gives back”.
• Dress the part. Just because it is casual Friday does not mean that you have to dress casually.
• Do not talk negatively about people.
• Have confidence!!
• Get a mentor. The right leadership mentor can get you started in the right direction.
• Envision your success, work hard, and your leadership will show.
• Exude humility. If you don’t, peers will likely abandon you.